What is ODP?
The Olympic Development Program (ODP) is a national program, started in 1977, to identify, train, and develop youth players to represent their state, region, and country in soccer competitions. The program was formed to identify players of the highest caliber on a continuing and consistent basis, which will lead to increased success for the U.S. National Teams in the international arena. Players are divided into training age groups by birth year and are led by ODP State Staff Coaches selected by Indiana Soccer’s Director of ODP, John Carter.
Indiana Soccer divides the ODP training year into phases. The phase structure allows for the identification, selection, and development of top players in each age group. The documents below explains the format for the Olympic Development Program for the 2016-2017 season (all documents coming soon).
Indiana ODP Program Goals
Indiana ODP Schedule, Format, and Components
State Pool Training Pods
ODP Training Calendar (updated 3/4/2017)
HOW ARE PLAYERS SELECTED?
Players must be formally invited to participate in State Pool Training. Each player is fairly evaluated in the four components of the game (technical, tactical, psychological, and physical), their creativity and problem solving ability, their ability to contribute to the team, an individual's versatility as a player, and the ability to be competitive within the current State Pool. Invitations come from the State Coaching Staff through a variety of programs. Please read the information below to find out more about our identification process.
1) Players may try out on a single date. Players will train within the already formed state pools. Players may use the ODP Training Calendar for dates and times for their gender/age group. Cost for an individual tryout session is $75.
Single Sessions Dates
Click on ODP Training Calendar above for times
2) Open High School Evaluation Program - This program is for players that are participating in high school soccer born in 2000, 2001 and 2002. Players that wish to try out may use the registration links above. Please note that players need to be finished with their high school season before trying out. Cost for an individual tryout session is $75.
3) Scouting Program
The Indiana Olympic Development Program Coaches also watch league and high school games to identify players through direct participation with their club and high school teams. Players identified through the scouting program will be invited directly into the State Pool in their respective age group.
4) Recommendations from ODP State, Regional and National Coaches - Indiana ODP solicits recommendations from coaches around the state, region and nation who have seen players play in their regular environments. If a players is recommended directly to the Indiana Olympic Development Program the player will either be invited directly into the State Pool or will be asked to attend an Evaluation session (tryout) for further evaluation.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATING IN ODP?
1. Development as a player. Focus on individual creativity and decision making without fear of
2. Quality instruction from nationally licensed coaches.
3. Quality competition. Showcase opportunities and interstate friendly games.
4. Exposure to regional and national team coaches.
5. The opportunity to represent your state, region, or country in competition.
6. Exposure to college coaches.
For those wishing to stay overnight for any of the events provided by the Olympic Development Program please feel free to the following link to book a hotel: http://www.sitesearchllc-housing.net/events.php?id=227