WHAT IS YOUTH SOCCER MONTH?
Youth Soccer Month is designed to help members in your community get involved and celebrate Youth Soccer in your community in your own unique way. Interest in the sport of soccer is at its highest level ever, with more than 19 million children ages five – 19, from Portland, ME to Portland, OR, on city streets and in suburban fields, playing the game. More children are participating in organized soccer than any other sport. For these children, soccer is more than a pastime, it is a passion. Recognizing the impact and importance the sport of soccer plays in the day-to-day lives of America’s families, US Youth Soccer, with 3.2 million members, the nation’s largest youth sports association, is spearheading the third annual Youth Soccer Month - Celebrating Soccer in America, this September. Why is soccer so popular? Because it offers children, both girls and boys the opportunity to participate in a healthy lifestyle, be physically active and develop social skills while making new friends.
YOUTH SOCCER MONTH PACKAGE FOR CLUBS:
This year, Indiana Soccer and Indy Eleven would like to invite youth clubs and teams to be part of Youth Soccer Month by creating an activity that focuses on the four pillars of Youth Soccer Month: Fun, Fitness, Familys and Friendship. You can partner with local colleges/universities, your local goverment, institutions, business and organizations to put together an activity in your community to celebrate the Youth Soccer Month. Do not forget to reach out to your city’s representatives and encourage them to proclaim September as the Youth Soccer Month (sample below). We are very close from the start of this important month for US Youth Soccer, and we would like to have everyone involved contributing in the growth of this beautiful sport.
If you want Indy Eleven and Indiana Soccer to be part of your activity and provide give aways and contests to power your event, please contact the Indy Eleven Director of Community Relations Guy-Jo at firstname.lastname@example.org or call him at 317-685-1100. You can also contact the Indiana Soccer Director of Marketing and Communication Paco Espinosa at email@example.com or call him at 317-975-2005. NOTICE: "You have until August 15th to confirm your participation"
WHAT TO DO TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL ACTIVITY?
1. Get together with your club represenatives and choose a day during the month of September to organize an activity to celebrate the four pillars of Youth Soccer Month - FUN, FAMILY, FITNESS and FRIENDSHIP.
2. Once you decide the activity's details, date, time and location, reach out to your city representatives and request them to proclaim September as the Youth Soccer Month. See a sample of a proclamation below and do not forget to invite them to your activity to announce the proclamation. This can help you to build a god relationship with your local legislators.
3. If you do not think you can do this activity on your own, request your local colleges, universities, businesses and organizations to partner you to accomplish your goal.
4. Reach out to Indy Eleven and Indiana Soccer to request their presence to power your activity with give away items and contests. Please notice that their presence will be based on availability.
5. Share your activity with Indiana Soccer in Facebook and Twitter using hash tag #2014YouthSoccerMonth for others to see what you are doing. Do not forget to like us (Facebook) and follow us (Twitter)
YSM_University / College Support / YSM_University/College Soccer Match_Announcemente / YSM_University/College Public Service Announcement_Script
Goals of Youth Soccer Month
Youth Soccer Month can be implemented for a day, week or the entire month of September. The following objectives of the Celebration may be modified to fit the needs of a specific US Youth Soccer State Association.
- Raise awareness of US Youth Soccer and the benefits of playing the game
- Emphasize soccer as the number one youth participation sport in America and a leading contributor to the healthy lifestyle of millions of American families
- Bring kids and families of all ages and all abilities together for fun, friendship and fitness
- Highlight the various programs available to children interested in participating in soccer, including urban programs, programs for children with special needs, recreational and elite soccer programs
Celebrating Soccer in America
Additionally, Youth Soccer Month is comprised of a month-long mixture of national and grassroots events designed to raise awareness of the benefits of participating in “The beautiful game.” Youth Soccer Month also highlights the various programs available to children interested in participating in soccer, including the inner city, special needs, recreational and elite soccer programs that have facilitated the growth of the sport at all levels.
In fact, the messages of Youth Soccer Month mirror those of the President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports communicating the importance of physical activity/fitness and exercise and their link to good health, while also furthering President Obama's vision of a healthier United States where citizens are physically active every day, value nutrition and avoid risky behaviors.
The Four Pillars of Youth Soccer Month
Throughout Youth Soccer Month, a series of messages will be highlighted to illustrate “Celebrating Soccer in America.” Each week during Youth Soccer Month, a different message will be the focus of communication and programming:
Week One - Fun: The health and fitness (physical, psychological and social) benefit of playing soccer… Learn More
Week Two - Family: The relationships and fun generated through playing soccer extend beyond the field… Learn More
Week Three - Friendship: Playing soccer ties families together as schedules, vacation and family time are coordinated… Learn More
Week Four - Fitness: Whether recreational or competitive in nature, involvement in soccer is easy and affordable... Learn more