MURRAY CLARK – Indiana Soccer’s 2019 President’s Award recipient.
Murray Clark’s influence on the Indiana Soccer family over the past 13 years has been immeasurable and his impact will continue to be appreciated for decades to come. Murray began investing his many talents and valuable time into Indiana Soccer in 2006 when he served as the lead member of what preceded and eventually became Indiana Soccer’s governance/nominating committee.
Murray, from 2006 through 2009, nearly single handedly identified, and strategically selected people with an interest; intense passion for service; a commitment to youth development through sport and that met several other high-quality board member standards that had been established by the Indiana Soccer membership.
Murray, after identifying eight very strong board candidates, and after some serious arm twisting, agreed to serve as a member of the board and was elected by the membership to serve as a director on January 30, 2010. He was promptly elected by the board to serve as the chairman of the board and president of Indiana Soccer. Under Murray’s leadership, the association transformed from a fledgling association, to a strong, vibrant, high-performing non-profit organization. A few of the accomplishments that occurred under Murray’s leadership are listed below:
- The transition from an effective Executive Director in Don Rawson, who had a stellar 10-year career, to identifying and hiring a replacement director.
- The combining of the Adult Soccer Association with the Indiana Youth Soccer Association that subsequently became the Indiana Soccer Association Inc.
- The strategic acquisition of 2 acres of undeveloped land, contiguous to the Indiana state office property, located in Lawrence, Indiana.
- The profitable sale of the Lawrence property and office building owned by Indiana Soccer.
- The establishment of an affordable, interim office lease located on North US 31, near 465.
- The expansion of Indiana Soccer’s member services.
- The establishment of Indiana Futsal.
- The successful implementation of the Mayor’s International Futsal Cup.
- The establishment of Indiana Sports Properties LLC where Murray served as one of the Indiana Sports Properties’ directors.
- Negotiation and establishment of the management agreement that resulted in ISP’s profitable management of the 31 sports fields at Grand Park in Westfield Indiana.
- Negotiation and establishment of the Indiana Soccer’s lease agreement that provides Indiana Soccer with an attractive presence at Grand Park.
- The substantial strengthening of Indiana Soccer’s financial position.
- The establishment of Indiana Soccer’s “Memorial Cup” that honors those members of the Indiana Soccer Family whose lives were cut short.
- The additional of the Presidents Cup.
- The expansion and promotion of TOPSoccer
They say that all good things must come to an end and unfortunately, Murray notified the governance committee of his plans to conclude his service as a director at the adjournment of the Indiana Soccer Annual General Meeting that was held on March 2nd, 2019.
Murray’s aforementioned, and other innumerable contributions to the membership of Indiana Soccer establishes a wonderful and impactful legacy. The Indiana Soccer family will always be in Murray’s debt and we wish him continued success in what we are confident will be many future endeavors.